Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Root Institute! Volunteering with us is a wonderful opportunity to offer service in the blessed environment of Bodhgaya. Root Institute seeks committed volunteers to form a dedicated team who will fulfil Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s wish to return the kindness of the Indian people by providing the opportunity for people to study and practise the Buddha dharma and by serving the impoverished community in and around Bodhgaya.
Volunteers should be willing to live according to the Buddhist Five Precepts, essentially with an interest in spiritual practice and a sincere respect for our spiritual environment (there is little normal social life in Bodhgaya). The spiritual programmes as well as the community health projects are run according to Buddhist principles and beliefs. The work is satisfying and exciting, with space for creativity in the work place.
- Receptionist / House Manager
We are seeking an energetic, efficient and computer-literate person for our reception/office.
Key responsibilities are to:
- Meet and greet guests;
- Bookings management and emailing;
- Oversee the accommodation – cleanliness, preparedness and maintenance. This involves working closely with the cleaning and ancillary staff.
- Coordinate with the kitchen staff with respect to menus, meals and ordering of groceries and vegetables.
- Invite guests to check our dharma items at the Lotus fund when the occasion arises
- Health Assistant at the Shakyamuni Buddha Community Health Care Clinic (SBCHCC)
The role of the assistant with our health programs is two-fold: to maintain accounts, cash box and registers; and to assist with fundraising via social media and thanking and keeping in touch with donors.
The health assistant works under the project manager and coordinates also with the main accountant at RI and with the director
Requirements for this position:
- Having 1 year relevant experience
- Having teamwork spirit
- Having experience with management of accounts, social media and fundraising
- Being patient, compassionate and creative
• Volunteers to teach at both Maitreya School and Tara Children’s Project: English, drama, art, dance, singing and yoga
The roles of these volunteers are to provide on-going extra-curricular activities to the children on a weekly basis.
Requirements for this position:
Having 1 year relevant experience
Having teamwork spirit
Having experience with children
Being generous and compassionate
If you would like to know more about any of these positions and if you think you would like to work in Bodhgaya in India, holiest of holy places, and you would be able to cope with our summer heat then please email the following documents:
• Current C.V.
• Letter of motivation
• Recent photo
• 2 professional reference
To Ven. Tenzin Paldron: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all these positions, we have a preferred commitment for at least 3 months with the possibility of extending them further.
All volunteers (three months or more) receive accommodation plus three delicious vegetarian meals per day and a great deal of satisfaction and merit from benefitting many people.
ALL POSITIONS ABOVE CLOSED!