Volunteering at Root Institute for Wisdom Culture, Bodhgaya, India
An exciting position has opened up in Root Institute for a WORK STUDY VOLUNTEER. We offer a bed in a shared room, 3 vegetarian meals per day and access to our Basic Program classes with our resident geshe, Geshe Ngawang Rabga, and other courses when they are open to drop-in students. In return we ask for a 3-month commitment and 25 hours a week volunteering. We have at present the following position available:
Fundraiser/Communications. Main areas: publicity, social media, managing Amazon Wishlist, fundraising, thank-you emails – for our 3 projects:
Root Institute, Maitreya School and Shakyamuni Buddha Clinic
- Working closely with director and accountant to develop fundraising budgets
- Developing creative and clearly outlined fundraising goals and strategies
- Monitoring & analyzing monthly financial statements and creating financial reports regarding incoming donations for the director
- Managing our ‘Friends of Root Institute’ monthly sponsorship program Communicating with donors in person, by email and social media.
- Updating and maintaining the donation section of our website (in conjunction with IT department)
- Composing text for our external communications (newsletters, social media, brochures, etc.) regarding fundraising activities.
- Creating posters and other off-line promotion for our fundraising activities and sponsorship program.
- Degree or equivalent experience in business administration, marketing or finance Native English speaker strongly preferred
- Prior fundraising experience with an NGO or Dharma center
- Enjoys being with people and can communicate in a warm & welcoming manner
- Flexibility and patience with the ability to thrive in a sometimes chaotic environment
- Online marketing & communications experience (composing newsletters, website and social media content)
- Understanding of financial statements and how to analyze & present data in a clear way.
- Computer literacy – experience with Microsoft products (Excel, Word), content management systems, Mailchimp, Facebook and Instagram a plus Strong organizational skills
- A healthy sense of humor Root Institute is a dynamic and very active dharma centre on the outskirts of Bodhgaya, a quick rickshaw drive or walk to the Mahabodhi Temple.
The centre is run by Indian and international staff and volunteers in a friendly and collaborative environment. Your job will involve interacting with other departments, so an open, friendly and patient attitude is essential.
Volunteering with us is a wonderful opportunity to offer service in the blessed environment of Bodhgaya.
Root Institute seeks committed volunteers to form a dedicated team who will fulfill Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s wish to return the kindness of the Indian people by providing the opportunity for people to study and practice the Buddha dharma and by serving the impoverished community in and around Bodhgaya.
Volunteers should be willing to live according to the Buddhist Five Precepts, essentially with an interest in spiritual practice and a sincere respect for our spiritual environment (there is little normal social life in Bodhgaya).
The spiritual programmes as well as the community health projects are run according to Buddhist principles and beliefs.
If you would like to know more about this position and if you think you would like to work in Bodhgaya in India, holiest of holy places, then please email the following documents to Ven. Tenzin Paldron: at director(at)rootinstitute(dot)ngo Current C.V., letter of motivation, recent photo and 2 professional references