Choe Khor Sum Ling is a centre for the study and practice of Buddhist meditation and philosophy as preserved in the Tibetan tradition. Choe Khor Sum Ling is a Tibetan name given by His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama which means “Sanctuary of the Three Wheels of Dharma” referring to the three types of teachings given by Shakyamuni Buddha. The three wheels encompass the sutras taught by the Buddha, both Hinayana and Mahayana.
Choe Khor Sum Ling is a living community in Bangalore offering basic meditation instruction. weekly lectures on Buddhist philosophy and the support of like minded people from all walks of life interested in learning about the spirit of Buddhism.
CKSL has quite a colourful temple which is open for personal worship and use of our well stocked library of Dharma books for borrowing. Regular attendees to the centre include a lively group of kind, open-minded Indian, Tibetan and foreign students.
CKSL was founded in 2003 after His Holiness the Dalai Lama requested one of His most devoted disciples – Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche, to start a centre in Bangalore. Since then monks from Sera Jey Monastery, near Kushalnagar have been coming monthly to CKSL to teach and lead our spiritual program.
CKSL’s events and curriculum are designed to give people a firm foundation in the basics of Buddhist meditation, philosophy and practice.
- CKSL offers guidance on a rich variety of meditations including VIpassana (analytical), Samadhi (concentration) and Metta (Loving Kindness)
- In order to clarify the entire spiritual path, CKSL’s teachers give accessible explanations of central Buddhist texts by Nagarjuna, Asanga, Aryadeva, Chandrakirti, and others accompanied by lively discussions.
- CKSL students engage in group prayer sessions that give people an opportunity to deepen their faith and collect extensive merit together
- CKSL has hosted public talks by His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Bangalore twice and hopes to host a longer teaching event in Bangalore in the future.
- CKSL organizes charitable projects as working with the school for the visually impaired and the Liberation Prison Project at the Parappana Agrahaara in Bangalore.
- to give people a substantial experience of the profound insight and inner peace that is achieved through Buddhist meditation CKSL hosts intensive weekend retreats.
- CKSL fosters an environment that helps people develop their fullest potential for inner peace and happiness and wisdom, and compassion, inspired by an attitude of universal responsibility.